Dr. Mechanik's 10 Rules to Good Foot Health
Have you ever become acquainted with your feet? Are you aware of the services available today to keep your feet healthy and happy? Most people routinely get their health check by their primary care physician or get their teeth checked by their dentist. Far too often we forget about our feet. Did you ever stop to think what your feet do for you? Your feet go to work as soon as you get out of bed and don't stop working until you go back to bed. Your feet take you everywhere you need to go. In the United States, 80% or more of the people, will suffer from feet or foot ailments sometime during their life. Long standing sore feet can cause significant disruptions to all aspects of a persons' life. Be conscious of what your feet do for you. Recognize the warnings signs of tired, aching feet, ankles and legs and consult Dr. Joseph E. Mechanik, a dual Board Certified Podiatrist.
Dr. Mechanik's 10 Rules to Good Foot Health.
- Wash your feet at least once a day with anti-bacterial soap and dry thoroughly.
- Don't wear the same pair of shoes two days in succession.
- Change socks at least once a day, twice a day if you are harder on your feet.
- Cut your toenails straight across and no shorter than the flesh of your toes. Stay OUT of the corners of your toenails. Don't be a bathroom surgeon.
- Wear properly sized shoes and wear the right shoes for the right occasions.
- When you exercise, remember to stretch and limber up your feet and leg muscles, tendons and bones.
- Don't needlessly get your feet wet from water. Don't let your feet stay wet for extended periods of time from water or perspiration. Change your socks as necessary to keep your feet dry.
- Maintain good posture with good shoes.
- Examine your feet and your children's feet at frequent intervals to guard against foot ailments. If a concern arises, make an appointment to see Dr. Joseph E. Mechanik, a dual Board Certified Podiatrist.
- Foot, ankle or lower leg pain lasting longer than 10 days is not normal and you should schedule a consultation with Dr. Joseph E. Mechanik, a dual Board Certified Podiatrist.